The trials and tribulations of a life of leisure...

Followers

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Long Bank 7 - Work In Progress


MIL phoned yesterday for a chat and to see how I was coping without Number One Son. She asked if I had been out gardening. Nope - It's Too Hot - and humid and the flies are driving us mad. But I felt guilty about my lack of toil and decided to do half an hour or so after lunch.

I started at LB6. I got the bigger weeds out and the cosmetic job of picking the visible ground elder out. Then I started clearing the dead leaves from the red hot pokers. Then I could get to some of the nettles and rosebay willlow herb. I really needed to attack it from both sides...

So I started to clear the 'virgin' new bank (will be LB7) that was the weed patch in front of the ex-cowshed. I had sprayed this area several times in May with Round-Up and it had done its job. Enthusiasm for this new task temporarily overtook common sense and before I knew it it was time to take the dogs out.

I was going to stop for the day but it is like an addiction...

I took stock and collected a load more rubbish sacks. The whole area is about ten metres long and varies in width from about three metres down to one at the far end. I decided to start in earnest at the far end - as I measure progress in how many paces have been cleared this is a quicker win scenario. First clear the surface debris - the desiccated weeds and moss, that Round-Up obviously doesn't kill. Then clear the stones, rubble and bits of slate embedded in the bank. Next clear the new weeds that were hiding underneath the old dead ones. Lastly dig out the nettle and cow-parsley roots where found. I stopped around 6 p.m. - hot and 'glowing' as the saying goes.

It is not as humid today and the flies appear to have taken a short break. I have done another hour or so this morning. Five rubbish sacks filled so far...

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors