The trials and tribulations of a life of leisure...

Followers

Friday, October 12, 2007

Cock of the North 2007 - Day 2

I repeated my routine of the previous morning. I apologise for wearing my lucky shirt for the second day running, but it was working...

Game 11: Stewart Holden
Stewart opened with FALLS and I responded with W(A)XIER. FI(L)TERED from Stewart on move 2, but I could score well on the triple with HOLD to be only 10 behind. FRIZ from Stewart and I chose to use the hook to bonus with mANURER rather than play an eight onto the D. Stewart then used the D for bATTENED. I got his lead back to 4 with W(A)VED which also balanced well, and was rewarded with ENGRASP the following move. Stewart's JAILER was not enough to cope with my VET (40), TEMPOS (33) and CENTU (37).
W: 454-377

Game 12: Shane O'Neill
Shane started with BATH, allowing me to score well with JEED. QU(A) from Shane gave me a good spot to balance with POGO. Shane bonused to move 4 with VIRGaTE, and I took off the triple to keep in touch, and used the T for E(T)AERIOS on the following move - scores level at 184-184. Shane pulled ahead with (P)HOT, CURSE and WOX, but I bonused on move 8 with REVIsED to take a 30 point lead, that was soon wiped out by MAZE. My rack was not looking good, and I balanced with NOLL, with two more Ns and Ls unseen. My rack had improved to AADEGIN but I was still 32 behind with 4 in the bag. I played of the A for a mere 2 points to make a second opening - 5 of the unseen tiles would give me a playable bonus in either place, 3 just on the new opening and 3 made nothing. I picked an L. Shane then blocked the new opening, down went ALIGNED and I prayed I did not pick the C.
As it was if Shane had just played one of his Ss onto VIRGATE for 26, ignoring my play, he would have won...
W: 414-400

Game 13: Azu Ogbogu
I opened with CAW and Azu's reply of FOOD set up AXING for 60. A couple of balancing moves and then I hat-tricked with ERUCTIN(G), GANISTE(R) onto AzU's PRALINE and GLAD(I)EST. I picked both the blanks with clunky consonants and dumped the K for 33. Azu tried a phony RE(G)REASE, and as I couldn't see a bonus from it on the triple I challenged it off and dumped my V. I then didn't bother looking for a bonus as I could score 42 with FA(S)H, and bonused the next go with UnBOOtS. Azu got a consolation bonus with (V)IRTUOSE.
W: 597-380

I had virtually won the tournament now with 3 games to go. Mark was 3 games and over 1000 points behind. I was Gipsonized :)

Game 14: Ray Tate

Ray's tactic in this game was to change and then bonus (TAILINGS, ENTERED). I hit back with (R)ESCALES, but was still slightly behind. The scores remained close, and then I made a mistake, trying cRAFTM(E)N - I didn't want to play RAFTsM(e)N as there were still Ds and a C unseen. Ray challenged it off and blocked the spot with QUE(E)N. From that point I was making openings and Ray was blocking, moving further ahead. SUB from me, and Ray used his blank to kill it, but gave me OXi(D)S to get me back within 11. GOE from Ray set me up for a good two-move playout and a scraped win on countback.
W: 373-371

Game 15: Brian Sugar
This game started well for me with CAREX for 47 and GEEK for 34 on move 3. When Brian bonused with PEASaNT I could respond with BEACON(E)D, but he immediately followed up with DILLIES. Brian moved steadily further ahead outscoring me consistently while I was struggling with a lack of vowels other than Is, but I had picked the second blank. MEWLS put Brian 119 ahead. I had a rush of blood here and played far too quickly, and this probably cost me the game. iRONIZE for 124, rather than the far superior iONIZER for 126.
L: 417-428

Game 16: Darryl Francis
Yet again I started well with RETOOK followed by (K)ANJI. A balancing play of LOR on move 3 was punished by Darryl's INFARES, but I could hit back with TREASON. MATZ(A) from Darryl for 78 was a bit of a body blow, but I was back in control with BOTTlES on move 7. Two moves later and Darryl bonused with URACILS which I could just about withstand, but followed by XI meant I needed a bonus. However, the only opening was above VID and looking at what was left even if my desperation chance of fishing for the last O or blank for OPAQUED paid off Darryl would block or take the spot himself. I decided on P(L)AQUE. This was the right choice as Darryl had HIREaGE...
L: 418-466

So, I couldn't manage the clean sweep, but I was very happy with 14-2 - a good work out in preparation for Mumbai where stamina will be needed. My rating has bounced back up to undo the damage from Durham.

Many thanks to Len for organizing the event, John on the computer and Amy 'Whiplash' Byrne for TDing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors