The trials and tribulations of a life of leisure...

Followers

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

More Plant Retail Therapy

I had said to Allan that I may go over to watch some of his BEST match against Ed Rossiter today, so Allan had said to come for lunch.

So I made plans to visit Edrom nursery in the afternoon, having spent the evening before going through their website and making a wish list. I had specific requirements. Plants must either provide ground cover (although not be invasive) to fill in gaps in LB 11 and 10, or be capable of filling the little nooks and crannies. Pluses awarded for plants that will be easily propagated, either by division or will layer root. And they had to be in my colour range of white/pink/purple/blue...

As it was I arrived at Allan's about 11.15 a.m. just in time to see the last four moves of the match, Allan winning 8-2. While Allan took Ed to the railway station I spent a pleasant half an hour wandering around his garden, and then we had lunch when Allan got back.

Then off to the real business of the day. I got several of the plants on my list, and a couple of impulse buys, but there were three plants that I had earmarked as really wanting that I could not see. The lady in the payment hut took my list with the three ringed plants over the road to see whether they had them in stock. She came back five minutes later with three pots newly labelled up for me.

So my latest Edrom nursery plants:

Phlox Nettleton variation
Rhodohypoxis baurii Confecta (impulse buy, but looks as if I can get several plants from the pot)
Saxifraga Silver Velvet (impulse buy - a large variety with the most amazing purple and silver foliage)
Saxifraga farreri
Saxifraga paniculata Lutea
Sempervivum Rosie

I had also wanted some gentians that I couldn't find but decided I would drop in at Lamberton on my way home as they are one of their specialities. Not only did I succeed with the gentians but also managed to find a few others that met my criteria:

Campanula cochlearifolia 'Alba'
Erodium 'Cezembre'
Gentian Bernardii
Gentian septemfida lagodechiana
Sedum spathifolium 'Cape Blanco'


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors