The trials and tribulations of a life of leisure...


Tuesday, November 27, 2007

WSC - Reception

After settling into our room we decided to find the World Trade Centre that was located near our hotel on the premise that there was likely to be somewhere to eat around there. We missed the road to go directly there and ended up at a Barista coffee shop. We found that we had actually gone on a long route around the back of it, but even when we found our way in most of the shops were shut for lunch. We wandered back to the hotel, where Phil and Allan were just checking in after their 2 hour drive from the airport...

When I wandered back downstairs later in the afternoon there were a few more people around, with the inevitable game being played surrounded by spectators. Allan had been thrown out of the room he was sharing with Phil as Phil wanted a nap, so we found somewhere to get a beer in the hotel with Paul joining us.

An hour or so later the lobby was filling up with players so I hung around chatting before going back up to my room to get ready for the evening opening ceremony. I knew I would be in the minority in making an effort, but I had taken both the nice dresses I had bought in Edinburgh and I was determined to not waste packing them!

It was a little late starting, but eventually we began to register, collect our 'goody bag' and file into the reception. This guy scared the living daylights out of me the first time he gave a blast on whatever it is...

There were waiters circulating with wine and hors d'oeuvres, and everyone was catching up with old friends and making new ones.

After a few short speeches candles were lit to mark the opening of the ninth WSC.

We were a little put out that they didn't do a live draw for the opening game of the following day, but were told that if we waited around the fixtures would be generated.

More socialising...

Wilma Vialli, who has TD'ed all the WSC's I have played in, was here in that capacity again.

Team Philippines and Loretta Alban from Qatar

BTW, that is not a spot on my forehead but we were all given a bindi on entering the reception.

It was getting a little late to head back into the city to eat after the reception, so Phil Robertshaw, Wayne Kelly, Paul and I enjoyed a meal together in the hotel, before getting an early night as we were starting play at 8 a.m. the following morning. Luckily for us our room was on the tenth floor so we were a little removed from the fireworks and firecrackers that were going off everywhere to celebrate Diwali...

No comments:

Blog Archive